The goal of the organization is to ensure that each musician is comfortable, happy and challenged by their experience in a WYO. Auditions give conductors the opportunity to see each musician play and assess which orchestra is the most appropriate placement for them and which pieces and parts they will handle most successfully. The suggested playing levels listed on descriptions on our site are only guidelines. Depending on the instrument you play and your personal experience, a variety of factors are considered in your audition and placement in the orchestras.
Auditions are on May 7th, 2022
If you are unable to attend auditions, please contact our WYO administrator , after registering, for alternative arrangements.
- Go to the Registration and Fees page HERE to fill out a registration form.
- When you have completed your registration you will receive an email with information on how to sign up for auditions.
- The audition requirements are as follows:
- Youth Strings: One piece of your choice of at least grade 4 level (approx 5 minutes) + 2 octave scale of your choice
- Youth Concert Orchestra: One piece of your choice of at least grade 6 level (approx 5 minutes) + 2 or 3 octave scale.
- Youth Symphony Orchestra: One piece of your choice of at least grade 9 level (approx 5 minutes) + 3 octave scale and arpeggio
- Wind and Brass players:
- If you have been involved in the Manitoba Honour Band audition process, you may alternatively use your Honour Band audition etudes and scales.
- There is some flexibility in the grade/levels required to join Concert and Symphony; if your skill level is not an exact match to the recommended levels or audition requirements, audition with pieces that you feel best reflect your playing level and conductors will find the best fit.
- If your audition piece+scales totals longer than 5 minutes you will need to limit yourself to playing a portion of your pieces.
- You may be asked to do sight-reading during the audition as well.
- If you would like to be considered for more than one orchestra (because you don’t know which one will be the best fit for your level of playing), you will need to audition for each orchestra separately.
After auditions you will be contacted with confirmation of your acceptance and information on fee payments.